Saihate no Paladin

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
Anime
The Faraway Paladin
最果てのパラディン (Saihate no Paladin)
Saihate-no-paladin-kv.png
Airing date: October 9, 2021 – present
Creator: Kanata Yanagino
Director: Yuu Nobuta
Writer: Tatsuya Takahashi
Music: Ryūichi Takada, Keigo Hoashi
Character designer: Koji Haneda
Studio: Children's Playground Entertainment
Network:
Licensed by: Crunchyroll, Medialink
Category: Isekai/Tensei, Fantasy
Episodes: 12 (?)
Official Website (J): https://farawaypaladin.com/
Official Website (E):

The Faraway Paladin covers the second life of William, a reincarnator who finds himself experiencing a second life as a child being raised by three powerful intelligent undead in a long abandoned city surrounded by mist. In this strange and exotic place Will confronts the shadow of his past life and way of living as he grows into a young man under his strange adopted family's love and guidance and sets out into the world.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I just watched the first episode for this delightful adaptation of Saihate no Paladin (The Faraway Paladin), and so far I am quite enjoying it!

My introduction to this Isekai/Tensei series came 4 years ago when I stumbled across the beautifully illustrated Manga adaptation of the LN, and the absolutely surreal setting of our young protagonist's reincarnation in another world was so strikingly haunting that it took me right in! Young Will's strange childhood, growing up in the care of three powerful yet caring Undead who live in a ruined city devoid of all other human life (or unlife) was such a unique setting I simply had to know the rest of the story. Some chapters later I found myself looking forward to every new chapter, as Will's role in the setting took quite some time and foundation to take shape- I am excited to see how long it takes for that identity in the Anime adaptation take shape as we work towards his slow transformation into an adult.

There are very few Isekai/Tensei stories that take such a slow, measured pace with world building and it gives the story a special and unique voice. Will is not a perfect genius, mastering everything on his first try and bringing the author's perception of "Earth's best parts" to a fantasy world with manufactured problems. This is a story about a contemplative young man whose past life and unique childhood has given him a unique foundation to confront both the myriad dangers of the world and the doubt in his own heart.

Hopefully the Anime won't rush it along too much. Our first episode covered Will's early childhood, and establishes the training routine that his adoptive family gives him. On one hand it seems so very slow, and there isn't even much to talk about, but so very much happens in it! Definitely check it out if you get the chance! (And if you're like me, it's time to binge on the LN as soon as the season ends.)

I would agree that this episode was a touch slow and light on context but what it does do pretty well is establish the routine and atmosphere of this new world and characters. I gather these undead monsters whilst caring have motives that are somewhat unclear. It would appear they are good natured individuals although the little outburst from Gus does point to something rather ominous.

Biggest hooks though is the sense of mystery in this world and what purpose William fits in all this. What I did also find telling is the ending which gave us a good snapshot of what to expect next. I suppose we will get a time-skip soon enough and some of the questions raised here will be answered soon enough!

Episode 2

In many ways the second episode of Saihate Paladin was similar to the opener; namely the pacing remains a touch slow. We continue to see William train with his sessions growing more difficult to reflect his increased experience. There is a decent action scene around the midpoint of the show which is fairly enjoyable. The most notable events occur at the end of the episode's end as further questions are raised about one of the key characters in the show. Got to wonder what that bit of dialogue was about. It would seem we will see William "graduate" in the coming of age ceremony in the next episode. The question remains where this series will go after that happens. I suspect more mystery but I hope we will get a good dose of adventure too...

Indeed, the second episode brings us some fun development! I remember when reading the dungeon exploration chapter in the Manga that I completely misunderstood what was happening.

I was getting a "last dungeon" kind of vibe from the area that gave me the impression the world was Game-like, so I thought that Will had encountered a Lich with the same character model as Gus, and was treating this random soulless stranger as his surrogate grandfather, lol.

Now that Will is closer to his adult self, I'm convinced that the audio trick they're doing with his inner monologue is going to continue, I really like that audio trick. It somehow contributes to the strange and ethereal vibe the story gives. Looking forward to Will's Coming of Age ceremony next episode.

the second episode brings us some fun development
as this is the most replied Fall anime so’far, I’ll give it another chance trying ep’2... done, ok worth to apply 3-eps-rule unlike Ishuzoku reviewers! My guess? No S2 :eek:
it hasn't been that long since the weird incident where a multi-company production group approved the adaptation of Interspecies Reviewers and seemingly didn't realize the subject matter it covered until what... 4 episodes had already aired? ;)

Last edited:
And with Eps 3 and 4, we get to see Will's coming of age turning into a bit of a chaotic mess as Evil God Stagnate shows up! I loved how this was handled in the Manga, definitely going to go read the LNs after end of season to compare all three versions. My suspicion is that this is more true to the LN than the Manga. I'll comment more on the actual confrontation when the arc concludes, as this episode left off with such a cliffhanger and I want to analyze the story of the Coming of age arc itself as a whole unit.

The event flow on Eps 3 and 4 and the combat in 4 was definitely weaker than in the first two, hopefully it returns to form next episode. (Apparently there are two different writers working on the show, and they're splitting up to work on different episodes, so wildly varying quality might be a recurring pattern in the show.)

Also, I'm kind of with Ryu on doubting there'll be an S2, this season is probably timed to market the next (last?) book in the series coming out soon.

I actually thought the third and fourth episodes were better than the opening two. First of all we get a number of answers to the questions raised in the first two from Gus's cryptic messages plus why the three undead characters often seemed evasive on certain matters. What's more much of the explanations given fitted with what happened previously. Even when William challenged the evil god Stagnate the god he preyed to was the same god mentioned earlier when he burned himself. Due to those reasons I thought the writing in the anime was actually quite good and my anticipation for the next episode has grown appreciably higher now than it was a couple of weeks ago.

As for the second seasons, it is really a hit or miss affair with anime. You never know what gets green lit or forgotten but this series doesn't seem to be ranking highly on the popularity rankings so more likely than not it won't get a season two. But regardless of whether a sequel comes or not I just hope they pace themselves correctly but seeing what has happened so far the risk of that doesn't seem to great... But then animes have a habit of coming up with good premises and build-ups only to stumble at the final hurdle so I won't be counting my chickens just yet...

I want to analyze the story of the Coming of age arc itself as a whole unit.

The event flow on Eps 3 and 4 and the combat in 4 was definitely weaker than in the first two, hopefully it returns to form next episode. (Apparently there are two different writers working on the show, and they're splitting up to work on different episodes, so wildly varying quality might be a recurring pattern in the show.)

Also, I'm kind of with Ryu on doubting there'll be an S2, this season is probably timed to market the next (last?) book in the series coming out soon.
I hope for a S2 now that #5 ends this arc, got better with the writer of first 2 eps... BTW check out After ED why its title, telling by next one Menel finally will debut :D

Well, that was a good conclusion to the intro! Definitely excited for the rest of the season.

I was pretty happy with how this one went compared to the last one. The combat pacing is still a hair off, I'm beginning to think that this animation team just handles dialog and interactions better than it does action. I'm probably being a little unfair to the show because the manga adaptation is so skilled at controlling the pace and putting weight behind the actions, but I am still super excited. It's still the show I'm expecting the most out of this season.

In the Manga adaptation, I absolutely loved the way the Manga handled Stagnate being forced to defend Blood and Mary from Will. It really helped hammer home a recurring theme in the story that combat is decided by tactics and strategy rather than blind nakama passion. It really makes me want to see how a certain battle coming up soon will go down just for how ridiculous it is. (good ridiculous. :D )

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back