Log Horizon: Entaku Houkai (2021) & 2nd Series

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
so I agree S2 became too rigid since Deen is animating the LNs, specially today about Legol*William's life as a gamer in RL... eps'9 and '10 happen at the same time as '7 & 8, with Shiroe's POV instead of Akatsuki (3 raid bosses overkill)
laugh.gif

To bad I actually found a episode I dislike now, all episodes had something nice for the full duration...not unlike this weeks episode 10. I honestly liked it for the first half, everything in the first half had a good meaning and development behind it... but after that it was a bit overused! I mean, we get the point now after the first 10 minutes can you please continue?
Sadly it ended with... let us give Shiroe 2minutes of fame with a cliffhanger and... roll the ending+PV!
I hope that they actually continue in the next episode.. they probably will.. I think. >.>

QUOTE (Masich @ Dec 07 2014, 01:29 PM)Sadly it ended with... let us give Shiroe 2minutes of fame with a cliffhanger and... roll the ending+PV! right there was no need to drag its 2nd half to that point, at least in ep.11 their raid was better *looks at Masich's ava*... no surprise the 'Megane villain's retry plan worked, but Demi was the hero this time (funny how he met his waifu)
happy.gif

lol despite that ep.13 title Naotsugu is still clueless about Tetrap xD, i'm glad to see 2 gals of Shiroe's harem return... i hope Deen animates Kanami better next arc, foxy Nureha must take revenge for what that despicable maid Indix did
tongue.gif

QUOTE (Norren @ Oct 23 2014, 02:23 AM)What Love Triangle? 
rolleyes.gif

Have you not noticed yet? 
wink.gif

QUOTE (NecroRyu @ Dec 28 2014, 09:59 PM)lol despite that ep.13 title Naotsugu is still clueless about Tetrap xD

I warned you. I warned you.
tongue.gif

QUOTE (NecroRyu @ Dec 28 2014, 09:59 PM)i'm glad to see 2 gals of Shiroe's harem return... i hope Deen animates Kanami better next arc, foxy Nureha must take revenge for what that despicable maid Indix did
tongue.gif

Just the preview so far shows she at least doesn't need anti-gravity boosters like she did in the S2 pilot.

I haven't commented much on account of RL drama/long "vacation", but I've been really satisfied with how things picked up after ep 4 or so. I particularly enjoyed William's gamer rant, but then, I was looking forward to it. 100% true to book.

I only got one thing to say
Souji
wub.gif

I actually like this anime against all expectations, but I kinda wonder how it will end
ohmy.gif

QUOTE (Noshi @ Jan 01 2015, 12:03 PM)I only got one thing to say
Souji
wub.gif

I actually like this anime against all expectations, but I kinda wonder how it will end
QUOTE (Norren @ Jan 1 2015, 11:55 AM)I warned you.
tongue.gif
thnx xD but what will be Naotsugu's reaction? ok it felt like a lot happened with Kanami's own guild at the China server... she looks better in ep.14 yet isn't like S1, lol at Street Fighter's Chun Lui and TMNT's KeroLeonardo (Cowabunga!)
laugh.gif

QUOTE (NecroRyu @ Jan 11 2015, 12:00 AM) thnx xD but what will be Naotsugu's reaction? ok it felt like a lot happened with Kanami's own guild at the China server... she looks better in ep.14 yet isn't like S1, lol at Street Fighter's Chun Lui and TMNT's KeroLeonardo (Cowabunga!)
laugh.gif

Now that i think about it, what was the story on the distribution of people stuck in Elder Tale? i can remember hearing how many people were in the Yamato server but i cant remember about the rest.

This is just my opinion but i think we might be able to see a 3rd season in a couple of years, maybe it will all depend on what happens with ovas and the like, i cant see this not gaining popularity if they make good ovas/spin off mangas of the other servers. (after all theres already spin offs of Souji etc)

QUOTE (Klyern @ Jan 11 2015, 01:26 AM)we might be able to see a 3rd season in a couple of years, maybe it will all depend on what happens with ovas and the like, i cant see this not gaining popularity if they make good ovas/spin off mangas of the other servers. (after all theres already spin offs of SoujiI think so too! most likely it'll be aired before SAO '3, after all they took 2 years from S1 to S2 while LH took only 1 :0... meanwhile ep.15 began a new arc with the remaining main cast in a journey, lol Shiroe female edition will debut next
smile.gif

Episode 19 of season 2! Finally! The thing I was waiting for the most!! (apart from seeing Nyanta and the train, which will be coming next week, Yes!)

What I mean by the thing I was waiting for the most, was this episodes explaining by the Odyssey Knight. Which in itself is a huge fact about why some of the players dislike being in the game and wants to go home.
But personally this is the greatest thing to shove into anyone that still dares to say Log horizon is the same as Sword art online. (my apologies for this selfish and personal comment) but I am still getting sick of the arguments about it.
Anyway, on a other subject note of Log horizon so far, I wonder how this season will end and *if* we shall see another season in the future, once the novel has progressed a bit further :/. I follow the novel as it become available for purchase, but I do wonder what will happen once this season ends? As there is not much left to use.. any thoughts? Feel free to PM me or comment upon it.

QUOTE (Masich @ Feb 15 2015, 07:34 AM)Episode 19 of season 2! Finally! The thing I was waiting for the most!! (apart from seeing Nyanta and the train, which will be coming next week, Yes!)

What I mean by the thing I was waiting for the most, was this episodes explaining by the Odyssey Knight. Which in itself is a huge fact about why some of the players dislike being in the game and wants to go home.
But personally this is the greatest thing to shove into anyone that still dares to say Log horizon is the same as Sword art online. (my apologies for this selfish and personal comment) but I am still getting sick of the argumentsagreed its battle against wyverns is picking up lately, to think Touya was falling for Nureha Dariella in ep'18 and then... was sad to see him paralytic in RL flash-backs, reminds me a bit to Yuuki in SAO II :/ can't wait for Nyanta's fight too
biggrin.gif

The scene with the Odyssey knights was fascinatingly done.

I have issues with the event pacing, there's none of the visceral emotion to this "battle" that was to be had in the Season 1 Beach Village Attack... but at the same time the behavior of the Odyssey knights is absolutely fascinating. They're the polar opposite of the Susukino guilds who FEAR seeing the worst parts of themselves from the real world when they die.

Of note is that what they're doing is something that's been done before. Shiroe alluded to it in his confrontation with Nureha: "That method just erases someone from this world." The implication in the LN version of that scene was that Nureha- or more likely Intix- erased a player by killing them until they had no XP left to lose as an experiment. The Odyssey knights probably don't know about that experiment.

After this arc ends, I'm really curious to see what happens with Krusty. Part of me thinks he's on the [strike]moon[/strike]public test realm, part of me thinks he got picked up by one of those portable cathedrals.

QUOTE (Norren @ Feb 16 2015, 01:42 AM)The scene with the Odyssey knights was fascinatingly done.

I have issues with the event pacing, there's none of the visceral emotion to this "battle" that was to be had in the Season 1 Beach Village Attack...even though Satelight adapted LH S1 better overall, by reading your review I'm fine i dropped Vanadis since last year... so i'm impressed by Deen after starting s2 with the left foot, specially in ep'20 which battle didn't lack emotion for me
wink.gif

QUOTE (Masich @ Feb 15 2015, 10:34 AM) Episode 19 of season 2! Finally! The thing I was waiting for the most!! (apart from seeing Nyanta and the train, which will be coming next week, Yes!)

But personally this is the greatest thing to shove into anyone that still dares to say Log horizon is the same as Sword art online. (my apologies for this selfish and personal comment) but I am still getting sick of the arguments about it.
Anyway, on a other subject note of Log horizon so far, I wonder how this season will end and *if* we shall see another season in the future, once the novel has progressed a bit further :/. I follow the novel as it become available for purchase, but I do wonder what will happen once this season ends? As there is not much left to use.. any thoughts? Feel free to PM me or comment upon it.
I'm not dissing out SAO since im a fan but i agree, a lot of SAO fans say its the best thing ever but even if the premise and concepts are epic the day to day humor etc are just too harem oriented, log horizon is more like .hack/ were there are multiple different characters with different personalities and views. SAO has a single male lead and a lot of female casts, its just embarrassing at times, even if the story itself is epic.

Reki Kawahara simply tries too hard to please the male audience, while Touno sensei just goes with the flow and writes like one should.

Back to why im posting >_>

I can't remember if this is something i saw in a movie or in anime but i got this idea for why they might want empathions and what it might be lol (you/we can all laugh that i got it wrong once its revealed, im not that far into the novel either)

What if they are brainwave signals and the observers collect them in order to evolve (not physically but mentally), i posted this because its so normal to find a setting were a race tries to evolve or something similar to apotheosis, but its rare to find one where they look inwards for that evolution, kind of like Cid Meier's Alpha Centauri (game)'s tracendence ending and kind of not, not to trascend the bodies but rather the psyche's limits.

Like i said just an idea
tongue.gif

ps: @Norren, thats what i was wondering myself, Krusty is so absent even without them mentioning it, its like the round table lost half its momentum, both in conversation scenes and in the world setting.

As far as SAO vs LH goes, I see them both as different kinds of stories.

SAO is more or less a modern setting to a classic fairytale- The hero who gets the girl and saves the world, the hero who wakes the sleeping princess, the hero who climbs the tower and kills the wicked witch, all of these are things Kirito does through the course of his adventures. At no point is the world really important except as a stage to the fairytale.

LH on the other hand is a tale of discovery. The world takes center stage, and the title reflects it, put more poetically it would be "the chronicle of new horizons", the characters find beauty and meaning in seeing that new experience. (This is an echo of Maou's wedding present to the Hero in MaoYuu: the dream of seeing what's on the other side of that hill.) LH breaks down very thematically into discoveries: The series begins with the discovery of a new world, then it focuses on the changing world as adventurers invent things and the game events come to life, before flowing into the way the flavor text changes the world and then finally into the way the mechanisms of death, afterlife, and rebirth influence the world. There are character arcs along the way, but fundamentally, every single thing builds towards exploring with an optimistic hope for the future.

There's also a third kind of story that's cropping up inspired by both, the "stranded in a fantasy world that acts like an RPG" LN, with stories like We met in a dungeon, Konjiki no Wordmaster and The New Gate being examples. (Konjiki no Wordmaster is awesome, by the by.)

That said, I wonder when Log Horizon Season 2 will air? Maybe when Tsuikhime gets an anime?

More seriously, I'm thinking the Empathion thing is actually an homage to the way XP loss in an MMO is typically nerfed over time.

Think about it like this, they're either aliens of the extradimensional kind, or they're the actual gods of Elder Tale's afterlife, and they need Empathion (XP loss) for some reason.

Now, in EQ2, which Elder Tale is heavily based on, going into the second expansion, the developers nerfed the death system to where you "only" lose XP. Prior to that you'd actually leave pieces of your soul behind and would have to go where you died to get it back to restore yourself. (It was something like a 10% additive reduction for every unclaimed soul piece in the world, to a maximum of six, I think?)

If you figure that Elder Tale had something similar, and as people got to max level, EXP losses were nerfed, endgame player bleedoff happened, and just in general, people got better and died less... wouldn't the afterlife be experiencing a shortage of Empathion? I think this is behind the root of World Fracture.

QUOTE (Klyern @ Mar 26 2015, 11:17 PM)I'm not dissing out SAO since im a fan but i agree, a lot of SAO fans say its the best thing ever but even if the premise and concepts are epic the day to day humor etc are just too harem oriented, log horizon is more like .hack/ were there are multiple different characters with different personalities and views. SAO has a single male lead and a lot of female casts, its just embarrassing at times, even if the story itself is epic.
QUOTE (Norren @ Mar 27 2015, 02:48 AM)That said, I wonder when Log Horizon Season 2 will air? Maybe when Tsuikhime gets an anime?you must mean S3 ;p IMO so far, is a draw with SAO but we'll see in Alicization:

Log Horizon (TV series 25 episodes) fall 2013 to winter 2014 - 9/10
LH 2nd Series (2nd season 25 eps) fall 2014 to winter 2015 - 8/10

QUOTE (Klyern @ Mar 27 2015, 06:17 AM)What if they are brainwave signals and the observers collect them in order to evolve (not physically but mentally), i posted this because its so normal to find a setting were a race tries to evolve or something similar to apotheosis, but its rare to find one where they look inwards for that evolution, kind of like Cid Meier's Alpha Centauri (game)'s tracendence ending and kind of not, not to trascend the bodies but rather the psyche's limits.
Like i said just an idea .
QUOTE (Norren @ Mar 27 2015, 09:48 AM)Think about it like this, they're either aliens of the extradimensional kind, or they're the actual gods of Elder Tale's afterlife, and they need Empathion (XP loss) for some reason..To bad that Krusty most likely ended up on the chinese server (who else do we know that is currently traveling with a party in China?) *Unofficial publication* Aside from that theres a few things that bugs me. Firstly some are convinced that the world they are in now *Elder tale* will become their new world for good, seeing as non has been able to go back and the world of Elder tale is turning into the real one (Distance + Flavor text).
Secondly with latest episode, People of the land and Adventures are inflicted by that spell. Which is weird, because if those geniuses/observers (whatever you call them) are indeed collecting Empathion.. how can it be of harm to the people of the land if they know that they are created by personality software? (Episode with the genius vs progenitor *Kanami go east*)
Lastly of all! (this is about Episode 24 last week) Who else agrees that it was Bloody hell rushed? Oh well, Tomorrow final (untill Novel progressed further) or they will make a ending of their own! It is always a gamble when the anime goes beyond its origin : /

QUOTE (Norren @ Mar 27 2015, 05:48 AM) SAO is more or less a modern setting to a classic fairytale- The hero who gets the girl and saves the world, the hero who wakes the sleeping princess, the hero who climbs the tower and kills the wicked witch, all of these are things Kirito does through the course of his adventures. At no point is the world really important except as a stage to the fairytale.[/i]

I see SAO a bit more like a bunch of strangers stuck in someone else's tragedy (Kabaya Akihiko's), it kind of reminds me of the .hack/ aura part in terms of how other people get thrown into the confusion of a "dead" person's mysterious tragedy.

QUOTE (Masich) Firstly some are convinced that the world they are in now *Elder tale* will become their new world for good, seeing as non has been able to go back and the world of Elder tale is turning into the real one (Distance + Flavor text).

Yes that is probably where the last 2 episodes were meant to be taking the "conversation" with all the talk about being stuck in a pc as nonsense, but personally i find status screens and npcs appearing in the real world more unlikely (unless its smartdust terminals covering the whole world like in Transcendence + something to explain the npcs such as artificial humans, like the realians from Xenosaga. Im not talking about monsters and the items spawning etc, rather im more concerned about npcs with speech and "memories" popping up all over the place if its right on the nail)

QUOTE (Klyern @ Mar 27 2015, 11:29 PM)Yes that is probably where the last 2 episodes were meant to be taking the "conversation" with all the talk about being stuck in a pc as nonsense, but personally i find status screens and npcs appearing in the real world more unlikely (unless its smartdust terminals covering the whole world
QUOTE (Masich @ Mar 27 2015, 11:31 AM)To bad that Krusty most likely ended up on the chinese server (who else do we know that is currently traveling with a party in China?) *Unofficial publication* Aside from that theres a few things that bugsyou're right o.0 he's with MILF Kanami who chatted with Shiroe in ep.25, giving him the idea to "travel between worlds"... as Taliktan's arc ended IMO s2 still is the best winter's TV sequel, yet worst cliffhanger if Regan joins Shiro's harem
tongue.gif

QUOTE (NecroRyu @ Mar 28 2015, 03:00 PM)you're right o.0 he's with MILF Kanami who chatted with Shiroe in ep.25, giving him the idea to "travel between worlds"... as Taliktan's arc ended IMO s2 still is the best winter's TV sequel, yet worst cliffhanger if Regan joins Shiro's harem... Well I have nothing to add to that or myself, although I was really suprised, that it was correct xD
Anyway... time to grade!

Overall, my rating for Log Horizon S1+S2: 7,3/10
Season 1: 8/10-----------------Season 2: 6,6/10
Animation: 9/10-----------------Animation: 8/10
Story: 7/10-----------------------Story: 6/10
Characters: 8/10----------------Characters: 6/10

Animation Note (Nobody enjoys having a animation they are used to, change after 1 season. But I do understand seeing as they switched studios, although I have to say that S1 style fitted more then S2, but everyone has a different taste anyway).
Story Note(Yeah.. I don't hold this against the anime as in the end, the whole amount of what has been published of the novel so far, has been used. But if I were to pick a season, then Season 1 was better, seeing as it was easier to follow).
Characters Note(Hardly suprising that I rated S2 lower then S1 with the whole *Lets introduce 20 new side characters* It was good, more fun and crowded and all, sadly it was also chaotic to keep track of who?/what?/where?/why?. Which makes the other characters have a variety of screen time, being to little or to much.)

I myself will keep track of the novel as it comes out, gotten almost all of them so far (Missing 1or2). I do hope Log horizon gets a 3rd season in the far future (with ofcourse same cast) But I also do hope that they won't continue. There is a lot left to be done, but if that would be somewhat entertaining to watch or see, we won't know until the novel has progressed further.
In the end so far.. Cheers for 2 seasons of a wonderfull Serie.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back