Review I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years and Maxed Out My Level review

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
full

Review:

Slime Taoshite 300-nen, Shiranai Uchi ni Level Max ni Nattemashita or I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years and Maxed Out My Level is an isekai/fantasy, slice-of-life, comedy series. Not to be confused with the similarly titled slime series called: “That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime” which also confusingly is another isekai/fantasy series. This Slime series centres on Azusa Aizawa who is a 27-year-old woman who dies from overwork only to be reincarnated as a witch who is immortal. Over the course of 300 years, she kills a bunch of slimes and unexpectedly reaches max level. It is at this point where the main chunk of this series takes place.

So far, the premise and genre seem pretty generic and all the points mentioned thus far seem to cover the typical isekai anime checklist; reincarnation check (no truck-kun though), OP main character check, becomes a super hero in new world check. In light of all this what makes this series different or otherwise a worthwhile watch in an oversaturated isekai genre? Well, the answer to that question will largely depend on what you like and I can say this series will not appeal to everyone. It is essentially a slice of life series so the plot is light to non-existent. Indeed, for most of the first half of this series what we get is introductions to various members of the main cast.

What will be also be notable when you watch even a few episodes is all the cast members are girls. From this it should be clear the main appeal to this series will be the moe factor and cute girls (there is fanservice but this does not make a significant impact on the series). As such, your opinion and what can make or break your experience would be whether you are a fan of moe. If moe or cute girls are not your thing then I would skip the series and the rest of this review. If you are a fan of moe however then read on!

If moe is important to you then this show really delivers. The main protag Azusa is pretty cute (especially during a certain accident in episode 11). Azusa is soon joined by two loli “daughters” in Falfa and Shalsha. Not only that we get a dragon girl (two actually) a demon named Beelzebub, an elf and even a ghost. All the girls are likeable and cute. This theme even extents to the secondary cast who like the main characters are also girls. This secondary cast range from demon lord to rabbit girl as the net is cast wide to appeal all the different moe fans out there!

full
full
full
full

To think this series is all about moe and cute girls would be a mistake. There are funny moments and while the comedic moments are not so prominent in the early part of the series it does come on stronger once all the main cast is established and their overall personality traits are known. The chemistry between each girl and the individual relationships (the series is not purely centred on Azusa) are well done. The various range of girls and their differing character traits means I am sure there will be at least one girl that will fit your bill.

Animation for this series is a bit of mixed bag. Whilst the characters designs are decent and the colours used vibrant it does seem a little basic with facial details and shading. In addition, there are significant drops in animation at points of various episodes that can be jarring but it does maintain a good quality on the key moe moments. The opening is stronger and is a cute introduction to an episode which is fitting given the overall theme of the anime. The ending was less memorable at least for me.

Overall, this being a slice of life anime series the enjoyment for this will primarily come from the characters. If you like the girls then you will get a lot more enjoyment out of this. I feel this series will separate the non-moe lovers from the moe fans. If you are not a fan of moe then it is hard for me to see you enjoying this show. It does have some decent comedic moments if you can get past the relatively slow start but I am not sure those comedic scenes, on its own, would be enough to keep you watching. If however you are fan of moe and cute girls then I would give this a go as this will be something that you will enjoy.

Story 6 – Character introductions make up a large chunk of the first half. Episodes there after tend to focus on various mini stories which for the most part are pretty enjoyable. Due to the episodic nature of the series, you can watch this series in any order as there is no overarching plot.

Characters 7 or 5 – If you are a moe fan take the first score but if you are not then apply the second. This series has an all-girl cast so the moe factor is strong here however it should also be noted numerous girls seem to carry a sister complex. Again, this is something that moe lovers will appreciate but could actually be a deterrent for people who are not into that thing.

Animation 5 – Pretty standard stuff and quality does drop at points. The OP is pretty nice so I give an extra point for that.

Overall 7 or 5 – Again the scores will reflect your opinion on girls and moe. If you like moe then take the 7 but if not then 5 is more suitable. This series is essentially a slice-of-life that is largely driven by the characters. It is in essence a series about cute girls doing cute things.

Last edited:
Monsta666

Monsta666

Staff Writer
Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back