Dumbledore Is Gay!

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

How does this make you feel?

• I feel sick, I always looked up to him, this sucks:(

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wowi, cool, I like it:)

• I'm speachless.......... I dont believe in anything anymore

• Total voters

InuyashaX

-Hokage
Kouhai
http://www.newsweek.com/id/50787

It's all there and it's apparently true, Dumbledore is gay as stated by J.K.
When malfion told me I was like, Nooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!! Why!!!!!!!!

"She added that, in her mind, Dumbledore had an unrequited love affair with Gellert Grindelwald, Voldemort's predecessor who appears in the seventh book."

She attended a press conference about the 7th book, and answered some questions from fans. She also said Hagrid never marries and that Neville Longbottom marries Hannah Abbott, another classmate.

I am shocked and appaled by this. I'm a homophobe so....
DD used to be so cool..but he was just... wow...

There should really be an option of indifference in the poll. That's what I would vote for since for me it doesn't really change my image of Dumbledore. Sure it's kinda surprising to hear at first, but it doesn't really change anything.

Um....are you guys serious? You're UPSET that Dumbledore is gay?

I don't see how this makes any difference to his character whatsoever.

What does him being gay really have to do with any part of his character? He's still the super-awesome mentor we all know and love. That hasn't changed. He never had any relationships during the time span of the books, so what does it matter that he had an unrequested love affair with a man many years back?

Does that change the fact he was one of the best wizards in the Harry Potter universe? Did him being gay have anything to do with how much butt he kicked?

It's not like he stopped to critique Voldermort's outfit when they fought.

So why does his sexual orientation matter? It's like saying you stopped liking a character because HE eats ORANGES, and by god, you HATE them. So now he's bad.

Stupid orange-eater!

With all the said, I sincerely hope that you were both kidding. I'd rather look like an uptight fool who gets all defensive when someone was joking then have people truly believe that him being gay suddenly makes what is such a wonderful character something ugly and repulsive.

Well obviously he's still the same great wizard, with all the traits we love, but to me, I find that rather disturbing, and stupid on J.K's part. Since she said that, most people might boy cott Harry Potter and send her hate mail. She's bound to lose some fans cause of this. It also seems pretty un planned, if he was gay all along, then why wasnt it mentioned at all in the previous books. All of a sudden he's gay in the last book, it just seems to be an unnessary announcement. I might have reacted differrently had I known in the 1st book and so on, it's like finding out Darth Vader is gay in episode 3 or something or finding out your hero who you admired all this time is now gay. Sorry if this offends anyone. I'm not like anti-gay, people should be able to do whatever they want, as long as it doesnt effect me.

And Kuria, lets say you found out your mom or dad was gay, I dont think you'd look at them the same way ever again. This might not be equiavlient to Dumbledore being gay but there are some die hard fans who respect him and devoted their lives to him. You have to take into account of the fans, if your not one, then yaa sure, him being gay wont bother you much.

I'm angry because the author is using controversy to sell more books. If we knew that DD wasn't straight, then, it wouldn't be as big a deal as something she just happened to reveal.

The gay right's parade just got their new mascot lmao... I wonder can Rowling find a way to scam some money off this latest development... I would think it would only ultimately hurt movie sales... Giving the anti gay parents faction a reason to stop their kids from going to see the rest of the movies... I honestly don't see the purpose of this announcement it's like she just woke up and was bored... called her publicist and said you dare me!!! XDD... Well even if there is backlash it's not like she is hurting for money she can afford to take a little hit...

Well on the plus side maybe when I go to see the movie there is that outside chance it won't be sold out opening weekend... Hmm somehow I still doubt that...

Personally, I think this is hilarious. I can't believe someone even brought it up here, that's how ridiculous this is I guess. So many people were convinced Remus and Sirius were shacking up until she threw in the Remus/Tonks thing, I'm surprised the puppy-shippers aren't going after her right now
laugh.gif
Though I think most people are generally pleased that it's Dumbledore/Grindelwald, because all the people I know who read book 7 saw that pairing right away and went "duh".

I don't really think it makes a big deal. I mean, I don't like Dumbledore so I don't really care whether he's gay or not. It will just make things more fun now, like the jokes about how he's portrayed in the movies. Though I think it certainly opens up the plausibility that some of those other characters might be keeping love-secrets ... clearly, Snape was never really in love with James, the reason he was hung up on Harry was Lily. But it's still possible Regulus was madly in love with his brother (the Blacks are already incestuous, so why not?)

I know a lot of anti-gay people will be upset. But on the other hand, from what I've seen this has restored the faith of many fans in JKR. A lot of people felt she was anti-gay herself and purposely wrote badly done Remus/Tonks to stop the thousands upon thousands of Remus/Sirius fics. Let alone all the male/male smut that's floating around ...

Look at it this way at least JK Rowling will never write anything again and we will be spared her watered down, pedestrian, bargain basement attempts at fantasy. Compared to the works of Jim Butcher, Michael A. Stackpole, or R.A. Salvatore her books are found lacking. I find her to be a hack and a discredit to the fine works of fantasy and science fiction British authors have turned out since the beginnings of the genres.

QUOTE (InuyashaX @ Oct 20 2007, 01:23 PM) Well obviously he's still the same great wizard, with all the traits we love, but to me, I find that rather disturbing, and stupid on J.K's part. Since she said that, most people might boy cott Harry Potter and send her hate mail. She's bound to lose some fans cause of this. It also seems pretty un planned, if he was gay all along, then why wasnt it mentioned at all in the previous books. All of a sudden he's gay in the last book, it just seems to be an unnessary announcement. I might have reacted differrently had I known in the 1st book and so on, it's like finding out Darth Vader is gay in episode 3 or something or finding out your hero who you admired all this time is now gay. Sorry if this offends anyone. I'm not like anti-gay, people should be able to do whatever they want, as long as it doesnt effect me.

And Kuria, lets say you found out your mom or dad was gay, I dont think you'd look at them the same way ever again. This might not be equiavlient to Dumbledore being gay but there are some die hard fans who respect him and devoted their lives to him. You have to take into account of the fans, if your not one, then yaa sure, him being gay wont bother you much.
I don't see why JK should shy away from the issue when asked. Granted, the question she was answer was something along the lines of "Will Dumbledore find love" and that's where she drops this particular bomb (and I thought the outing was a little out of the blue, but hey), but if she had planned it in his back story, then that's that. It's her character and if it felt natural to make Dumbledore gay, so be it.

As for her not mentioning that he's gay in the books, I don't see why it was necessary for her to put that in there. He didn't have any romantic relationships that pertained to the telling of the story, so it wasn't mentioned.

Now, for the whole "gay parents" analogy. Of course it would change my perception of them. You find out ANYTHING new about someone, it changes how you look at them. Some things will not be as drastic as others, but your views will still change.

In my particular case, it would be heartbreaking if one of my parents suddenly said they were gay. Not because gay factor, but because it would mean the end of what is a wonderful marriage. With Dumbledore, we had no confirmation about his orientation (Ha! That kinda rhymed! Point for me!) and this information doesn't mean the end of any sort of relationship.

As for the whole fan deal, yes, I am a fan. I've read the books over several times (though not near as many as other people I know) and I've never cried so hard at a character's death as I did when Dumbledore died. Well, that was until I thought Harry had died. But that was more because he had to contemplate on his own death, and that was heartbreaking.

And yet, this news doesn't shatter my world. He's still Dumbledore.

Long story short- I still fail to see why him being gay is any sort of a big deal.

Whee. Sorry guys, but if you can't tell, I can't resist a debate. <3

LOL this whole thing is just so funny! I mean, I said, "I don't believe in anything anymore".....because of the fact that she should've said it in the first place. LOL...now everything makes sense to me! I mean why did she mention this AFTER the series was complete, it came as a complete shock to me.....I don't even care if he's gay, thats just another characteristic to me...but still..i mean it could have been an important part of the story...she was a liar! perhaps she said it after because she didn't want her sales to go down...imagine if she did that, parents all over the world would stop buying the book for their kids...which is stupid....

QUOTE (doofus123 @ Oct 20 2007, 05:10 PM) If she'd said that Harry is gay, then that would be truely awesome; imagine all teh crushed hearts.
I bet yours wouldn't be crushed at all
laugh.gif

Inuyasha, though this news may sound quite exciting to someone such as yourself, it's unfortunately not as exciting to some humans. Wow sometimes I wish I wasn't a Canadian, though there aren't any better alternatives, I wouldn't mind being a jew-- err I mean, yeah jew.

ps- I don't think she's trying to sell anymore books.

I've read too many fanfictions to be shocked by such a news.
tongue.gif

But NevilleXHannah? WTF! Where's my NevilleXLuna? Rowling is ruining her story. ><

QUOTE I find that rather disturbing, and stupid on J.K's part. Since she said that, most people might boy cott Harry Potter and send her hate mail. She's bound to lose some fans cause of this.

No no, she won't lose a lot of fans, just the most homophobic and narrow-minded part. And frankly, I'm not sure she cares (a million pounds more or less doesn't count, when one is as wealthy as she is).

I'll look how this news is presented in the newspaper, since the 7th books is to be published in about a week here, but I doubt it will create a debate.

Now, I dont like the idea of dumbledoor being gay. I am sort of homophobic myself. Its not like I want to forbid the gays their love... oh no, they can do whatever they want, I just dont think it is right to openly put homosexuality on the same level as heterosexuality. And especially not in books for children.
I agree with InuyashaX on this one. I really dont know what Rowlings is aiming at with this idiocy. But I dont really care anymore. After I read the 6th book, I knew that I dont want to keep reading anyways. I just SOOOO knew she was gonna kill Snape, who happens to be my most favourite character in the book and with that, I decided I am gonna drop it.
Besides, I didnt like the way she changed her writing style. The first 2 books were awesome, nice story, happy ending, lots of magic and atmosphere and then she started to write 800 pages full of boring and depressing stuff...... the books became soooo heavy with all that character development. Then she even started to kill off characters.... I was like: is she nuts o' what?

I think that Rowlings is a good example of how money and fame can rise to ones head.

QUOTE (warita200 @ Oct 21 2007, 04:30 AM) I think that Rowlings is a good example of how money and fame can rise to ones head.
Because in her fictionnal world, people die and gays exist?

Well, there's always Rainbow Bride and My Little Pony.

Point 1 (rather scary), but I believe Rowling didn't intend these to be children's books when she began writing them.

Point 2, this whole thing is ridiculous. The reason she never put it in the books or mentioned is, that it has no impact on the story. The story is about Harry's Journey not his gay headmaster who loved a man decades ago. No matter what his orientation, Dumbledore has no romantic relations in the story itself. Apparently the homophobic parts of HP fandom doesn't have the same "I'll just ignore the facts" skills as the non-homophobic side
dry.gif
People have been ignoring confirmed, in series heterosexual relationships for years to write m/m fanfic. There are still people convinced that Harry loves Draco, and Remus was forced into a relationship by evil-homewrecking Tonks who took advantage of his misery over Sirius's death.

I don't see why it's wrong for Dumbledore to have liked his best friend when he was a teenage. It doesn't mean he's running around doing illegal things with his students.

QUOTE There are still people convinced that Harry loves Draco,

But...
But...
But he rode an hippogryph with Hermione!
ohmy.gif

Point 1 (rather scary), but I believe Rowling didn't intend these to be children's books when she began writing them.

Methinks her purpose was to make her readers grow along with Harry, so the first book is significantly more childish than the 6th or the 7th.

dalriada, NO, I think that because of how crappy her books became.

Chiisai hana, well, in one of her first interviews she said, that she started writing harry potter when her daughter was a kid and she actually ment to write an interesting book for children about magic..... so she ment it to be literature for children.

I never said, that just because dumbledore is gay, he is doing perverted stuff to his male students. I just..... dont like the idea of him being gay. Besides, I thought that he has a secret affair with McGonagall. I thought that maybe they are "sipping tea" late at night in his tower. Ahhh, my fantasies are ruined.

The news doesn't surprise me at all, Rowling is clearly a fanfic type of writer as evidenced by the well known inclusion of a Mary Sue character (Hermione) in the Harry Potter books so obviously she'll be into gay/slashfic kind of stuff too, as most female fanfic authors are into that kind of thing.

I'm only surprised that she didn't reveal that Harry Potter is also gay, if you ask me all her characters are gay.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back