Boku no Hero Academia 5th Series

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
S3?... I sort of stopped on ep 10.... after that cliche 'escape' of the 'bad guys'.... and after the previous eps bad guys attack in the forest.... C'mon.... no security? Anyone can follow the kids home... to school... follow their buses out to that forest etc.... But this show is targeted to a younger demographic.... I left the link in my 'current watching' category... as I'll probably finish it later....

Read this article on otakus in the Japan Times today... good point I forgot about... https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2018/11/24/national/history/defining-heisei-era-examining-rise-otaku-culture/

There was another sweeping change rewriting consumer demographics: fewer children. The nation’s total fertility rate, which measures the number of children a woman is expected to have over a lifetime, hovered near 2.0 around the time Goto was born. But by 1989 it had sunk to 1.57 and would continue to fall until it hit a record low 1.26 in 2005.
With the number of children shrinking, popular entertainment naturally began targeting the otaku population that didn’t hesitate to open their wallets for material many considered juvenile.
This would explain the late hours for so many of these shows... but since it's all going digital, from manga to anime, as the viewers watch it on their phones going to school or going to work... this declining population factor increases in the size of the problem for the industry as the number declines.

Was that "All Might vs All for One" the S3 finale? Sooner or later All Might is going to die, right? That is one rather big dif from the superhero cliches.... though I remember something similar in that Antonio Banderas version of "Zorro"... he's replacing Anthony Hopkins? in the role for the public... etc.... not dying, just aging and not able to perform as he used to. If it's at the end of this S3, then maybe I'll finish it before I start viewing BattleStar Galactica... I saw it in the library.... haven't seen that since it aired.

gdpetti said:
Was that "All Might vs All for One" the S3 finale? Sooner or later All Might is going to die, right? That is one rather big dif from the superhero cliches.... though I remember something similar in that Antonio Banderas version of "Zorro"... he's replacing Anthony Hopkins? in the role for the public... etc.... not dying, just aging and not able to perform as he used to. If it's at the end of this S3, then maybe I'll finish it
I wanted to omit spoilers but If you're ok with so no the fight is halfway, just a cour·finale (still better than how S3 ends)... as barely surviving he can't use his quirk anymore, only transform ;/ yet i suggest you to see it all despite 'fillers :(

If I remember correctly, the All for One 'bad guy' wasn't directly involved in that S1 finale, but his 'trainee'... which I think All for One wants to take over.... up to S3 ep 10 that I saw, All for One wasn't directly involved... on the scene... ep 9 might have had his trainee bad guy group escape with his assistance, but I don't remember him being directly involved. I think AllMights injuries are said to have been from his previous battle with All For One years ago? or something like that... before the series starts.

PS... just watched ep 10.... All for One does show up... continues to ep 11... better ep in 10.... it's just those usual stop to talk moments that always allow the 'bad guys' or 'good guys' to turn the tables... that always bothers me... but the rest of this story is done rather well.... The main story is the kid taking over for AllMight... as he degrades... and that's done rather well.

The usual problem the 'hero' has is the same throughout history.... the simple fact that we don't realize WTF is going on... and why.... so tribes/peoples/civilizations get killed, destroyed etc.... As David R. Hawkins put it, we live in one level of "purgatory"... no pain no gain here.... it's how we learn... .how we wake up and realize our situation... Purgatory is a school in consciousness.... graduate school sort of... changes everything once you understand that simple fact... sort of like understanding how our central banks work.... how they make money by making loans... until even that isn't needed by the end of the game... free money from the CBs.... the financialization phase is always the end. Would like to see this put into a story like this.... take it to the next level....

One element I wonder about is why the kid's father is never shown... I think he was present when Midori was a little kid.... is it simple financial concerns? Don't want to pay for another voice actor?

Finished S3.... this is actually a pretty good anime in this genre.... other than those moments in which the opponents want to talk a bit before their final attacks... Silly, but everyone does that... so it's hard to complain too much... and in this one, those scenes aren't every episode.... so it's easier to overlook.... this is definitely setup to last a decade like Naruto, which has to be the model for this shonen genre. I think S4 starts soon.... maybe I'll watch it when the season is over... or at least half over if they're going to do 25 eps again.... which I suppose is 2 cours, right? The usual problem is if the mangaka can keep up ..... here in the States, such projects are separate from any comic series... I think, right? My surprise in the Japanese market is due to this tradition here.... a successful tv or film series would take priority over any comic... a separate writing/production team would be setup.... again, I think, I don't know... like with original works, the manga can follow or go in a tangent.

Whatever... this is setup rather well... again, that unusual bit on having 80% with special abilities ... the opposite from most... the superhero loses his abilities etc.... some original bits to setup the genre.... whereas Naruto used that same crappy villain against the whole damn tribe..... and every time the 'bad' guy would send an attack against an innocent villager and the whole tribe fighting him would stop to 'save' them and allow the villain to escape.... it was so repeative.... This one again has AllMight losing his power... and the same seems to be implied with All for One.... of course, they could always do the usual jail escape... typical... .another interesting bit is they still have the MC's childhood sort of 'friend' staying true to his hero dreams and not going rogue..... as many in those schools/competitions seem to have that dispositon.... That's been written/setup rather well too.... creates a stronger dynamic and stronger 'team' of 'good' guys to fight the 'bad' guys/gals.... though the MC being a nerd/newbie is very tropey... <_< Kind of hard to get away from that I suppose given the reader/viewer of these in Japan.... and where is his 'real' father, not the replacement version in AllMight? Couldn't they have said he died or something? Is he always working overtime or what? :rolleyes:

It would be interesting to see a seinen version of this or any of these tropes... it changes the whole dynamic... like Spike? in Cowboy Bebop... .the issues are more grownup as well... less childish.... but at times, I'm surprised so many of these animes even get made... this one seems ready for primetime... which I would assume is its timeslot? ...

gdpetti said:
One element I wonder about is why the kid's father is never shown... I think he was present when Midori was a little kid.... is it simple financial concerns? Don't want to pay for another voice actor?
I think his identity is kept in mystery for later, fanart·teories point All for one... Doubt it, but this 'MC is top villain's son' cliché would explain some stuff :huh:

gdpetti said:
where is his 'real' father, not the replacement version in AllMight? Couldn't they have said he died or something? Is he always working overtime or what? :rolleyes:

It would be interesting to see a seinen version of this or any of these tropes... it changes the whole dynamic... like Spike? in Cowboy Bebop... .the issues are more grownup as well... less childish....
in case his mom knows, there must be a reason why she hides it IF he's AfO... looking for new seinen? try Golden kamui, from Kokkoku's studio but better!b)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kds2Emjr4QY

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back