Neon Genesis Evangelion

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
QUOTE (qrdel @ May 23 2010, 12:23 PM) And with this, this thread might actually get back into action, like the old days ;]
Considering 2.22 introduces a whole bunch of new material not introduced in the original series, I definitely see this happening. 2.22 basically takes the remake to a whole new level. I wouldn't even call it a remake anymore, but rather a new series in its own right.

That's very true. 1.11 was quite close to the original series and manga, but the second movie is an entirely different story, with new characters, redone scenes and even different plot twists.

OK guys, gotta take down some raw thoughts before I forget ;].

I was able to watch 2.0 when it was released in cinemas around the globe, but it wasn't nearly as perfect as 2.22. This short review won't spoil you anything, and I won't be going into much details regarding the plot. Just a short summary ;].

Let's start with characters and their development first. You launch with a completely new persona - Makimari Mari (or something of that sort, was never good at decyphering japanese names) in her staggering battle against one of the angels. Right from the start a new scene, new persona, new Eva (gougoki) and the same jaw-dropping cg animation, so well-known from 1.11. I died for the first time ;]. You won't be able to catch your breath before the very next battle sequence, this time performed by my beloved Asu-chan <3 '] The movie goes on with some chit-chat here and there, developing charas (this part I purpousely omit, as it's something you gotta learn by urself), Kaji is back too, and we see some more decent action of the trio 00,01 and 02. Mari also arrives in N-Tokio 3 to overhaul 02, whilst Asuka is asked to pilot...you'll see which Eva ;].
We see more of Rei x Shin scenes, getting much closer to manga, then the original TV series, some more battles, more father-son issues on the way, and the movie ends up with an all-out survival of the sickest battle against Zeruel (best fight evarr btw, much better than snipering mission from 1.11 :>). Aaaand, the end is also jaw-dropping to some extend :>.

Enough of the summary... Art/music is on the spot. I have to say, that I was impressed with what I saw during my first 1.11 watchings, but this is simply ASTONISHING! So far I haven't found anything that wouldn't fit Anno's overall vision of this movie(s) in terms of art and animation. It's just perfect! You expect beautiful, hand-drawn backgrounds, realistic real-time shadows, cell-shadding to enhance CG graphics and motion-capture like animation...? You name it! It's there, fitting and blowing your mind almost every second as you dive deeper into the movie...

As your brain gets overheated you constantly get attacked by splendid score written and composed by Sagisu Shiroh - one of the few japanese composers I still hold a candle for. The score is heartbreaking, aggressive, funny and adjusting to every second and every frame on screen. One thing I don't like is a rather poor lyric-based song performed during final battle scene. Like I said.. it's crap imho.

Value? Oh yeah, plenty of it here! I 've been able to watch the cam version of this movie several times so far and I'm thinking... why not have another 3 or 4 sessions with these splendid dvd or blu ray quality... Additionally, you get several new scenes with this release and that's definitely a bargain card here, for buying it that is.

Is it so much different from the original series? Yes, it is. Is it for worse? No. Eva needed refreshment, and this is what you get once you let Anno loose with his imagination :>. Should you watch the original TV series before watching this? You might, I'm not saying it's obligatory. You get the better picture of it all once you do so, but otherwise it's edible too.

Okay, I still haven't watched either movie yet....the 1st Rebuild or the newly released 2nd Rebuild. I'm slightly confused with the whole 1.0, 1.11 and 2.0, 2.22 difference...I'm guessing the re-naming is for the DVD/Blu-ray releases, which probably contain extra scenes within the full feature. The other question, I wanted to ask is....should I watch the other versions of the movies considering I haven't seen any of the REBUILD movies.
wink.gif

In the year 2015, the Angels, huge, tremendously powerful, alien war machines, appear in Tokyo for the second time. The only hope for Mankind's survival lies in the Evangelion, a humanoid fighting machine developed by NERV, a special United Nations agency. Capable of withstanding anything the Angels can dish out, the Evangelion's one drawback lies in the limited number of people able to pilot them. Only a handful of teenagers, all born fourteen years ago, nine months after the Angels first appeared, are able to interface with the Evangelion. One such teenager is Shinji Ikari, whose father heads the NERV team that developed and maintains the Evangelion. Thrust into a maelstrom of battle and events that he does not understand, Shinji is forced to plumb the depths of his own inner resources for the courage and strength to not only fight, but to survive, or risk losing everything.

-AniDB

the BD version of Evangelion: 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance has been subbed. I couldn't find a forum post for Evangelion so I started this one. Any thought on this movie yet?

MOD Note: You didn't look that hard enough it would seem, since this was on the first page. Oh yeah and post merged to the actual topic.

QUOTE (JCDRANZER @ May 25 2010, 12:27 AM) Okay, I still haven't watched either movie yet....the 1st Rebuild or the newly released 2nd Rebuild. I'm slightly confused with the whole 1.0, 1.11 and 2.0, 2.22 difference...I'm guessing the re-naming is for the DVD/Blu-ray releases, which probably contain extra scenes within the full feature. The other question, I wanted to ask is....should I watch the other versions of the movies considering I haven't seen any of the REBUILD movies.
wink.gif

No, I guess you can go with dvd/blu ray versions only. That'll suffice.

Blu Ray rip and blu ray full disc is out there in p2p. Blu ray looks astonishing ;]

QUOTE (qrdel @ May 26 2010, 04:35 PM) No, I guess you can go with dvd/blu ray versions only. That'll suffice.
So you're saying that there is absolutely no changes between the cinematic version and the dvd/blu-ray versions. If thats the case, I will watch the blu-ray versions.
biggrin.gif

QUOTE (JCDRANZER @ May 26 2010, 08:12 PM) So you're saying that there is absolutely no changes between the cinematic version and the dvd/blu-ray versions. If thats the case, I will watch the blu-ray versions.
biggrin.gif

Quality aside, 2.22 has got several more scenes added. None ripped tho, so either way you'll be watching the *richer* version '].

As good as the rebuilds are.... the time between releases is so long that I had to watch the first one before watching the second one just to remind myself on what has happened and differentiate the new story from the old one
sleep.gif

And the anticipation drives the expectations through the roofs and I can't help but feel "thats all i get for two years wait?". I'm still use to the whole idea of watching the next episode every week, even OVA feel like long waits for me. At this rate I will finish all 4 rebuilds (im guessing there are 4 in total) at around the time I finish Uni!!

No doubt its still brilliant and the long wait is the price we have to pay for the pure awesome.
tongue.gif

Just watched Rebuild 2.22 and I have only two words for it: fu**ing awesome.
It was so great I cant really desribe it, the end really got me all heated up because so many things happened.

I was quite surprised that they changed so much in 2.22 compared to the series because 1.11 was mostly a copy from the series.
I like it how they showed more of Pen Pen (he was great in the aquarium and the lunch ^^), gave Rei - finally - more character instead of her beeing a emotionless robot and changed Asukas character a bit. For me it feels like they split the original Asuka character in two parts. The lonely part became Asuka and the fight-loving part became Mari.
Mari overall became a nice addition to the cast and I like her a lot even though not much is known about her, who she works for and how she can just steal EVA 02.

The movie shocked me a lot of times, like the time when the dummy system bit the entry plug with Asuka in it and you think she died. Good that she was shown in the Preview alive and healthy, except that she is one-eyed then.
Or the time the 10. angel wreaked that much havoc, not only destroying Tokyo 3 and Nerv Headquarters but even 2 EVAs and almost EVA 01 too.

And it seems they changed Shinji a bit. Hes not that of a weak and lousy character as shown in the series. In the end he grew a lot with his determination to save Rei even though he was going against all odds.

If you ask me I dont even have the smallest clou how it will go on or even how it will end because almost everything is changed.
What made me really interested was what Kaworu said at the end. He said that this time he will save Shinji. And since Ristuko said it looked like the Third Impact could that mean that Shinji was alive once and triggered the Second Impact like he did now? So Shinji used the power of an angel to destroy the world he hates so much, but the power wasnt enough or got minimalized so that not the whole world was destroyed.

And what is it that Gendou is planning? The same as in the series? At least it seems that Seeles plans are the same like in the series, The Human Instrumentality Experiment.

Overall it was a great and nervwracking movie with an end that blasted everything. A total 10/10 from me and Im really looking forward to Movie 3 and 4.

Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo, also known as Q or Quickening

Title: Evangelion The New Movies: Q
Japanese: ヱヴァンゲリヲン新劇場版:Q
Theatrical release date: 17/11/2012 (3rd animated film out of 4)
Genres: Mecha, Action, Apocalyptic/post-apocalyptic, Psychological, Sci-fi
Directed by: Hideaki Anno (chief), Masayuki, Mahiro Maeda and Kazuya Tsurumaki
Produced by: Hideaki Anno, Toshimichi Ootsuki
Written by: Hideaki Anno
Music by: Shiro Sagisu
Cinematography: Toru Fukushi
Editing by: Young Mi Lee
Distributed by: T-Joy & Khara
Studio: Khara
Theme song: "Sakura Nagashi" (桜流し "Flowing Cherry Blossoms") by Utada Hikaru
Main Cast: Asuka Shikinami Langley & Mari Makinami Illustrious

tentative name: Rei Ayanami, Shinji Ikari & Kaworu Nagisa

Misato Katsuragi, Ritsuko Akagi, Gendoh Ikari & Kohzo Fuyutsuki

Shigeru Aoba, Makoto Hyuga, Maya Ibuki, Kohji Takao & Sakura Suzuhara

Sumire Nagara, Hideki Tama, Midori Kitakami & Wille's people

Movie PV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnigpyCYHOc
Official website: http://evangelion.co.jp/

Synopsis: Fourteen years have passed since Third Impact, yet the Angels continue their attacks against mankind. Shinji Ikari is salvaged from Evangelion Unit-01 and finds that things have changed, but not for the better: the world has been devastated, his former allies from NERV have become hostile toward him, and Rei Ayanami, the girl Shinji risked everything for, is nowhere to be found. As he attempts to adjust to this strange new world, Shinji befriends the enigmatic Kaworu Nagisa. Together in their search for Rei, the pair learns the terrible truths behind the Angels, NERV, and the Evangelions. But a faint glimmer of hope remains for the two boys: a single opportunity to undo the mistakes of the past. Now the remnants of mankind are after them, the Angels race to stop them, and their old friends have declared them public enemy number one. With only Kaworu to support him and all the world against him, Shinji must fight for his one chance for redemption. But that may well mean finishing what he started — the end of the world.

Necropinion: just a 2'5 years necrobump to update this thread about the awaited, new rebuild movie screening at japanese theaters... most likely will be out in BD & DVD subbed half year later, anyway after watching its preview with very high expectation I'm looking forward to it as PS 10/10
blink.gif

Yes and I expect to somehow see them make an Eva 3.33 version just so they can get the hype of it being in High Definition along with some added features to it as well. Besides this seres is technically one of GINAX's flagship titles they are managing to rework here.

In any case I was more or less wondering when they would release the third movie at all now. This makes me wonder when they are going to work on the 4th Eva movie since I'm sure there's more to it then leave it on the 3rd movie now.
tongue.gif

well unlike previous Rebuild films released every 3 years the movie Evangelion: final will be screened next year instead of 2015 though it would be more fitting, still good news ^^ talking about it now that the famous apocalyptic day will be soon what better anime thread than this to celebrate ;p happy end of the world!

I got Eva 1.11 on Blu-Ray for Secret Santa at Christmas 2011, I watched the movie about a few months ago and though it was amazing. I have no idea why I left watching the movie so late despite being a massive NGE fan.
wink.gif

Anyways, today I hooked my laptop to a 60' HD TV via HDMI today and watched a few things, the last thing I watched was Evangelion 2.22, which was simply astonishing.

The REBUILD movies have been different and unique compared to the TV series but still retain many of the iconic scenes or just the typical background like the utility poles with the crows sitting on the electrical lines.

When I was watching the movie, I just couldn't stop comparing or thinking about the very first anime I had watched, the original NGE TV series and I was thinking I really wanted to watch it again but then the dread came in....I remembered how weird the final 2 episodes were and it just made me feel uneasy. It's those last 2 episodes and the overwhelming feeling of "something real bad is gonna happen" is what truly prevents me from re-watching the TV series. I really should since I watched the series with the videos tainted in yellow and generally of low quality.
wink.gif

However, enough about the TV series, the 2nd REBUILD movie performs far better than the first REBUILD movie by obviously introducing more of the crew such as Asuka. I also don't remember Ristuko and Kaji ever flirting with each other to make Misato angry and jealous.....I don't think this happened in the TV version and I believe it's a new element introduced into the REBUILD movies.

Overall, after watching 2.22 and reading the short synopsis for Evangelion 3.0, I don't think I'll wait anymore and instead watch it as soon as it comes out.

This goes without saying Evangelion 2.22 was a masterpiece and I'm giving it a 10/10!!
biggrin.gif

Actually the last two episodes of the TV series was pretty much GINAX saying we ran out of money, but we need to finish this. And thus the meme of the GINAX Ending was born.
tongue.gif

Pretty much if you look at the titles it's pretty much them trying to do this, but feel like they can't back out of it until the very end it would seem. A friend of mine and I kind fo came up for the reasoning of the title for each movie.
tongue.gif

I mean first was: You're (Not) Alone - Meaning that people wanted to do this.
Second was: You Can (Not) Advance - Pretty much stating that they aren't going down the same road for a third time.

the third is pretty much going to be called You Can (Not) Redo - Summing it up on they are going to finish this no matter what.

QUOTE (JCDRANZER @ Jan 03 2013, 03:35 PM)Overall, after watching 2.22 and reading the short synopsis for Evangelion 3.0, I don't think I'll wait anymore and instead watch it as soon as it comes out.

This goes without saying Evangelion 2.22 was a masterpiece and I'm giving it a 10/10!!
QUOTE (Kid-Wolf @ Jan 03 2013, 03:56 PM)the third is pretty much going to be called You Can (Not) Redo - Summing it up on they are going to finish this no matter what.¬¬ well guys if you really can't wait for the 3.33 release half year later and feel like watching it right now there's a 3.0 camrip subbed recently, speaking about quality and sound is decent except the image tilts constanly but still I understood what's going on this film... basically a mix of Gunbuster and Evangelion's post-third impact scenario done better ^^ my willpower was weak this time, at least my final score will wait until I watch in all its HD glory so from what I just saw i'll leave it like my PS meanwhile
tongue.gif

meh if I knew 3.33 would take less than a half year to release it with UTW subs on BR/DVD quality soon (unlike 1.11 and 2.22), then I could have waited 3-4 months instead of spoiling myself with a tempting camrip ¬¬ ...anyway I'll marathon the 3 movies this weekend with friends after going to watch Iron Man 3 (I didn't like Rise of Technovore -.-), in preparation for Evangelion New Theatrical Version: Final this year or in other words 4.44 until 2014
dry.gif

QUOTE (NecroRyu @ Apr 23 2013, 11:13 PM) meh if I knew 3.33 would take less than a half year to release it with UTW subs on BR/DVD quality soon (unlike 1.11 and 2.22), then I could have waited 3-4 months instead of spoiling myself with a tempting camrip ¬¬ ...anyway I'll marathon the 3 movies this weekend with friends after going to watch Iron Man 3 (I didn't like Rise of Technovore -.-), in preparation for Evangelion New Theatrical Version: Final this year or in other words 4.44 until 2014
dry.gif

Good to know it's coming out shortly. I'll have to go watch my 2.22 bluray to refresh my memory on that. Pretty sure I only watched it when the bluray subs first came out. I don't even think I watched it after I bought the bluray from funimation.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back